Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Buying suggestions for all aluminum 28' race trailer (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34612)

BigBlockMark 10-31-2014 06:21 AM

Buying suggestions for all aluminum 28' race trailer

Just sold my 24' enclosed race trailer.

Considering going to a 26' or 28' trailer, but need to be able to pull with my 2014 1500 Silverado 4x4 with 5.3 engine and 3.42 gear. I am thinking I should go to an all aluminum trailer to keep the weight manageable. Main reason to upsize is to make room to drive a golf cart in from the rear and haul length wise with my 1980 Malibu. Of course there is not a budget for a new Featherlite or other top name brand. I have found a few new trailers bare around $10,000. One option suggested by builders is spread axles.

Any experience/suggestions with this type deal appreciated.

TheRabbit 10-31-2014 07:57 PM

A golf cart is 1,000lbs added to the front of a trailer even if it's in the back. ( that just means you have to pull car all the way to the front) 28' trailer with a car and golf cart is to much for a 1/2 truck. It's not just about pulling it, it's about handling the weight and stopping it.
I have a 3/4 ton Duramax and my 24'er loaded with cart and truck is about all it wants to SAFELY haul and it a 3/4 ton (with weight distribution hitch.) I'm planning to buy a bigger trailer so I ended up buying a dually and now use it to haul the trailer. Hope you're not pulling more than a few miles and on pretty flat ground. I've totaled 2 trucks and a trailer at less than 45mph because of using a 1/2 ton truck to tow a big trailer. Trust me jackknifing and flipping the trailer and truck on top of us in the tow truck is not much fun! Calling 3 tow trucks to haul tow truck, race truck and one to haul the trailer is not much fine either.

BigBlockMark 10-31-2014 09:45 PM

Thank you Rabbit. That's some input I am looking for.

I have located a CRICKKET golf cart that only weighs 300#. But they are $4000 new. A baseline 26-28' all aluminum trailer is about 3500# bare and cost minimum $10,000. And the spread axle option for better distribution is another $500.

I am hauling less than 50 miles to our 3 local tracks and we are on flat ground here in central Illinois. I previously had a 2500 Silverado with 6.0 engine and 373 gears pulling a 28' trailer and that was the way to go back then. But that was with a 2200# car. Now I have a 3000# car

I know you have to be cautious braking with a trailer and lighter duty truck. At least this new truck has 4 wheel disc brakes

Just trying to make the right next move. 26 foot could be long enough for the Crickket, but maybe not a regular size golf cart. I have tried scooters at the track, but my wife is not comfortable on one by herself. She really liked the golf cart we had before and it helps to have a place to put an air tank and fuel jug.

Keep the suggestions/info coming guys. I have all winter to do something. But if I order an all aluminum one it could take 8 weeks to get one made.

SuperComp1R 11-02-2014 06:19 AM

no need for more info, rabbit gave you the correct answer but it sounds like its not the answer your looking for. the 1/2 ton trucks are way to light to do any serious hauling, they will pull it okay but getting it to stop is another.

Swiley383 11-02-2014 09:28 AM

I pull with a 1/2 3300lb car about 40 mi to the track on a open trailer. My next truck will be a 3/4 ton just for stability and I pull up and down hills. It was not a big deal when I lived 10 miles from the track but now I pull on the interstate it not worth chancing like rabbit said.

bixblk 11-02-2014 05:48 PM

I tow a 24 foot steel v nose, my car is a 3600lb chevelle, tool box, fuel,cabinets,winch,jacks,spare tires, slicks, etc all add up, so I bought a quad, it is lighter than a golf cart. My tow vehicle is a 2001 yukon 2500 with the 496 bbc, I bought it when I bought my enclosed in 07. I think the newer 1500 have a bigger tow load. I like using the 2500.

TheRabbit 11-03-2014 05:34 PM

Not sure how much a cricket weights. Rick Huff designed them and sells them here in Augusta. He can tell you. The problem isn't just the weight of the cart and car. When you start adding; generator, gas, jacks, spare parts, cabinets, tables, race suit, microwave, golf carts / 4wheeler ( which are lighter than golf carts),tool boxes, air compressor, grills, coolers, stuff, etc. it gets beyond what a 1/2 ton truck can safely HANDLE. It's not about pulling it, it's about handling the load and stopping the load.
I have friends that pull 24'ers with 1/2 ton trucks, but they can't add anything to the trailer other than BARE necessities.

Swiley383 11-03-2014 05:59 PM

A big wind gust can sure be dangerous to a big trailer and not enough truck.

curtisreed 11-04-2014 04:02 AM

Could someone get Mark to put his location in so I can be on the lookout for a 1/2 ton truck pulling a 28' trailer if he is close to me? Not the best idea in my opinion.

Curtis

BigBlockMark 11-04-2014 10:19 AM

I have been doing it for years off and on with 1/2 ton trucks. Never with a 28 foot though, just a 24 foot trailer that weighed 4450# empty. But I do not take very much with me to the local ILLINOIS tracks I go to. No generator or big tool boxes, Just a light bench and a few tote bins of necessities, cooler, gas, winch and a battery.

I can see the input has been negative to the idea. I don't take any offense as you guys know what works for you.

I no longer have the 24' trailer. I will buy something to use for next season. I think an aluminum frame trailer is the lightest reasonable option. A 26 foot is about 3600# and 100# less tongue weight empty, but at a $2000 additional cost. That's about 800# less than my old trailer. A Crikkett weighs 305#. I have driven them at car shows/swap meets where they were rentals, and they are alright for light use, but only have a 300# payload. There is a dealer for them within driving distance in Indiana. I have been there and they sell several, can service them and have parts in stock for them. They are not made in the USA, which I don't like.

I am looking at ATC 26' now. About $12,000 base price bare.

The Crickkett may or may not end up in there, we'll see.