View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 04:10 PM
TRWMotorsports
SHOW GUEST

Glynn Williford, aka Dr Hot Rod! Home office near Memphis.

43 yr old father of one son; Taylor now 16.

Former bracket racer, freelance journalist and the only person in America to ever intern with Diamond P Sports when they were NHRA's right hand.

Mother and father were both bracket racers. In fact, Mother beat Joe Lunati's wife in the money run of the very first powder puff race she ever entered.

Current Drag Strip Announcer at Memphis Motorsports Park.

Learned about calling drag races from the two best to ever do it.

Dave McClelland devoted his life to this sport and he and his lovely wife were as kind and gentle to a scared college kid as any loving parents could have been to their own children.
He displayed grace and dignity at all times and I never heard him say a cross word about another individual. He reportedly founded Super Chevy Sunday and if I sit silently, I can still hear his rich baratone voice thundering throughout the PA system.

Steve Evans was a firey guy from Southern California that is credited with as much of the sports development in its golden years as any one individual. He's credited with the trademark cliche beckon call of our industry which sets us apart from all other motorsport, "SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!"
Legend has it that he reportedly told John Force just to follow his lead in the interviews and he'd make him a star.

Ironically, I can recall sitting in Darrell Russell's trailer at Memphis in the Summer of 1996 with his dad and brother in the cramped living quarters of the red Chapparal that always flew the State flag of Texas. If I ever got lost in the pits, I knew I would be ok when I saw their flag. I remember sitting there asking Darrell when he was going to turn pro.
The ironic part is that Steve Evans asked him the same question when he won the US Nationals one year later!

Thats my story..or stories...and I'm stickin' to 'em!

The Doctor is In!