DON'T BUY FRAM OIL FILTERS !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:01 PM
superbadass532
JOURNEYMAN

NorthMotorSports>>>> Sorry I took you the wrong way !! My Bad! I would put it on the Scammers board but it seems I am getting plenty of action on this board.
Thx
Old 09-26-2008, 08:03 PM
RonOwensRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

I guess i am one of the lucky one's i used fram for a couple of years on a BBC and never had a problem i switch to the system one a few years ago just because it had a good reputation and i never have to buy another filter again.

But this is not the first time i have heard of fram and there filters I'm sorry to hear they want stand behind there product as big of a company as they are you would think that would be one of there first priority's to take care of the customers and make more of them instead of losing customers.

If this travels around enough i'm sure it will catch up to them just not soon enough.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:29 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

I have alway's used K-N on my race car's had no problems. But now i use a moroso remote screen type filter.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:47 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

let me jump in here with 1st hand knowledge like the other guys.....3 yrs ago i had a fram on a 406ci sbc..69 camaro..street and strip car..oil pressure started creeping down..65/40/35/20...i shut it off in parking lot...towed car home, took line off oil gauge in car and hooked to another manual gauge with same problem......changed the filter to Pure one..BAM !!!! 65 psi..Been there ever since..i am just glad i caught in time....heck with Fram..

I agree with Bill send pictures and keep the evidence ( oil filter) if something happens like this...they have tons of insurance to cover stuff like this...sorry they did not cover you...that stinks !

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 09-28-2008, 05:16 PM
DOLLARBILL1
SHOW GUEST

Default Re: DON'T BUY FRAM OIL FILTERS !!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by superbadass468
This is kind of a long story......... Anyway about three weeks ago I got my 67 Camaro finally finished. I had the car completely stripped and repainted. So it was my first time out at the drag strip. I pulled the car off the trailer drive it around the pits and pulled into the lanes for my first pass of the season,pulled up made my pass every thing was fine,made a second pass everything seemed fine, The third pass the car seemed OK but it was getting late in the evening so I thought for sure it would pick up it normally does when it cools off. Well it slowed way down by about 3 tenths! I didn't think much of it thought it was something I had done wrong so I loaded it on the trailer and went home. I got up the next day(Sunday) and went back to the track. I unloaded the car and went to the staging lanes and waited to make my first pass of the day. I pulled up did my burnout and BAME!! it just stopped running. Well to make a long story short I took it home and pulled it apart and found I had spun a rod bearing #5. I got to the filter and took the filter off (FRAM FILTER) and to my total surprise the oil passage that the filter screws on to was completely clogged with what looked to be filter material!! I called Fram with my obvious concern and they said they would fax me a compensation form and they wanted me to fill the form out get an estimate of the damages and send this to Fram with the filter. I did. I heard back about a week later in a letter, basically saying that it was my fault not theirs????? Are they kidding. I've been using Fram filters my whole life 35 years and as a matter of fact the same filter on the Camaro all last season . Oh ...and the filter that fell apart was a NEW filter bought within the last 2 months this year. I think it is pretty crappy of them just to blow me off like they did not only did they lose a great customer but they have gained an enemy! My motor is well worth $12-15,000 not to mention the time of RR of the engine and I only wanted these Jackasses to cover my basic costs of $3000.00! But now they have a pissed off a good customer !!!! What are these people thinking! Sorry ......... But I just needed to vent! Stan
THANK YOU I BOUGHT A FRAM TODAY I WAS GOING TO CHANGE MY OIL THIS WEEK I WILL BE TAKEING THE FRAM BACK TO THE STORE MONDAY AN AGAIN THANKS
Old 09-29-2008, 04:32 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Had it happen on my '94 (stock) Silverado about 8 years ago. I was lucky enough to be getting off the interstate right by my shop. Sure enough, the filter collapsed, but I was lucky to catch it in time. I called fram they sent me a form and wanted the filter back. I sold the truck and never sent them the filter and will never use another fram again.
I just use a Wix on my BBC and don't worry about it anymore.
Also make sure you use K&N oil for their air filters. No oil on the filter and you'll dust the motor if you drive in dusty conditions!!
Old 10-15-2008, 01:41 PM
mustangron
SHOW GUEST

I had the same thing happen to my stock sbf while running a K&N.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

That's scary... got one (Fram) on my SBC 4wd truck (use the motorhome 1+ QT). I will ditch it... bad service is unacceptable. I use dual remote K&N's on my BBC 69 Camaro... no problems though.

It makes sence that with high RPM/flow/PSI -VS- stock pressure relief valve in a Fram w/ much of the inner core being paper content to strain 100's of micrometers & an outer thin wall made for engines that are "point A to point B" commuters, that when put on a race motor it will explode/collapse/fail... not to mention FRAM's are failing on stock motors as someone mentioned earlier.

No offense, but I do not use a Chinese made cheap U-Joint on my Dana60 running 488's either.... or run cheap/weak header gaskets... I bought the .62 Copper ones. Why run this kind of filter on a race motor in the first place???

Again, I don't want to add salt to the wound, just curious. Rigsby
Old 10-17-2008, 06:35 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

how about the engines that tear up and pump the metal through the filter slowly ripping it apart, then blame it on the oil filter or excessive oil pressure for a inadequate filter design? Just a thought.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:00 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Rigsby
That's scary... got one (Fram) on my SBC 4wd truck (use the motorhome 1+ QT). I will ditch it... bad service is unacceptable. I use dual remote K&N's on my BBC 69 Camaro... no problems though.

It makes sence that with high RPM/flow/PSI -VS- stock pressure relief valve in a Fram w/ much of the inner core being paper content to strain 100's of micrometers & an outer thin wall made for engines that are "point A to point B" commuters, that when put on a race motor it will explode/collapse/fail... not to mention FRAM's are failing on stock motors as someone mentioned earlier.

No offense, but I do not use a Chinese made cheap U-Joint on my Dana60 running 488's either.... or run cheap/weak header gaskets... I bought the .62 Copper ones. Why run this kind of filter on a race motor in the first place???

Again, I don't want to add salt to the wound, just curious. Rigsby

lol ..OHH How many times i have seen 2 dollar parts used to finisheoff a high dollar piece.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -