Buying suggestions for all aluminum 28' race trailer

Old 11-05-2014, 03:43 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

The ATC trailers that I have looked at are nice pieces. A friend has one of the upper end units and I would love to have it. You are doing the right thing keeping the weight down. I would also use a weight distribution hitch and dampener so you can control the wag. I pulled a 20' enclosed just a short time with my 1/2 ton Supercrew. Crossed a river bridge running 60 mph with 45 mph gusting cross wind. You should have seen that white knuckle ride. LOL Granted my Supercrew is more of a car with a bed than a real truck. Just be as safe as you can. I wouldn't want to see any racer have a wreck.

That same day the wind was so bad wasn't much fun at the track either. Didn't mean to sound like an ass in my earlier reply. Sometimes funny doesn't translate.

Curtis
Old 11-05-2014, 06:43 AM
BigBlockMark
MASTER BUILDER

No offense taken. I really appreciate you guys caring enough to help set a racer straight and be concerned for the safety of fellow racers.

And your right, you can't tell if a guy is being serious or not sometimes from the other side of a screen.

This turned out to be a better subject than I thought. Too bad the rest of the RJ forums can't get a little something going.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:23 AM
TheEngineer
MASTER BUILDER

The attach link is a photo of my Silverado 2500 HD, 4-WD with Duramax and Allison 6-Spd auto, 24ft Pace GT Shadow enclose trailer (28" OAL), with my golf cart pit vehicle and trailer (double tow). The gross weight is slightly under 10K and the 2500 HD handles this towing package without any problems. I do use the load-leveler hitch which makes everything extremely stable towing.

http://www.racingjunk.com/gallery/album/4583/738693
Old 12-10-2014, 04:33 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by BigBlockMark View Post
A Crikkett weighs 305#. I have driven them at car shows/swap meets where they were rentals, and they are alright for light use, but only have a 300# payload. There is a dealer for them within driving distance in Indiana. I have been there and they sell several, can service them and have parts in stock for them. They are not made in the USA, which I don't like.

The Crickkett may or may not end up in there, we'll see.
Kinda off the subject of the trailer, but

I've never weighted one, but I would have thought a battery operated one would probably weight more than 300lbs. The load capacity at 300lbs shouldn't be a problem. I think they have the same motor as a regular cart. I'm sure you can get all this info from your local dealer.
If it makes you feel any better Rick Huff (his place is almost next to my work) designed the crickets and spent some time in China with a manufacture to build them for him. I remember looking at the drawing of them before he went to China. He use to rebuild and sell club car and I thought he was crazy when he said he was going to quit and go with the crickets 100%. Club Car and EZ GO are both made here in Augusta and we have a lot of other (spin off) golf cart related businesses here.

I haven't been by his place in a few years, but if you need any info about a Cricket and unable to get it let me know and I will get it for you.

http://www.ricksesv.com/blog/

Edit. I just read on Rick's web page that it is 303lbs. Dang that's light! I may have to see that for myself!! lol

Last edited by TheRabbit; 12-10-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:10 AM
BigBlockMark
MASTER BUILDER

Thanks for the info Rabbit. The Cricket is well accepted in several venues, but unknown in drag racing as far as I can tell. It is a compromise and there are no used ones for sale that I can find. The closest dealer is about 75 miles away and they are capable of service and repair.

I have put down a deposit on a 26' all aluminum trailer and in process of approving prints right now. I did not buy a ATC, went with inTech instead. A base one is $12K list price. Elliott's Trailers in Warsaw Indiana is where I am buying it from in case anyone else is interested. Tony Elliott is a racer too and has better prices.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:09 AM
TheEngineer
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by BigBlockMark View Post
Thanks for the info Rabbit. The Cricket is well accepted in several venues, but unknown in drag racing as far as I can tell. It is a compromise and there are no used ones for sale that I can find. The closest dealer is about 75 miles away and they are capable of service and repair.

I have put down a deposit on a 26' all aluminum trailer and in process of approving prints right now. I did not buy a ATC, went with inTech instead. A base one is $12K list price. Elliott's Trailers in Warsaw Indiana is where I am buying it from in case anyone else is interested. Tony Elliott is a racer too and has better prices.
I haven't seen one of the Crickets at the tracks in Oklahoma, or Texas, don't believe anyone around here has one just yet. But, I plan to check them out when I finally see one! Also, post some photos of your new trailer when you pick it up. A lot of the trailers are made in Indiana, that is where my Pace GT Shadow was made.

Last edited by TheEngineer; 12-16-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:23 PM
BigBlockMark
MASTER BUILDER

I would like to post a pic of the Cricket on here as well as the new trailer when I get it. Don't know how to do a picture on this forum.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:06 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Link for Crickets?
Old 12-12-2014, 05:29 AM
BigBlockMark
MASTER BUILDER

www.ricksesv.com or just Goggle Cricket Golf Carts.

There are 2 kinds he sells thru dealers.

SW3 is the one that is a golf cart style.

They are 32" wide X about 60" long. If you need to minimize space and weight this will do it. They are about $4000 with options. If you need a full size cart, this is not it.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:39 AM
SuperComp1R
MASTER BUILDER

sometimes lite weight is good, pulling a race car is not one of those times. i would have no interest in this little guy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -