Vanishing Point Racecars

Old 05-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

SUNCOAST RACECARS asked for $10k at start , 1/3, 1half way done , bal at end!!! worked out fine. david.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:37 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Racefab57
SUNCOAST RACECARS asked for $10k at start , 1/3, 1half way done , bal at end!!! worked out fine. david.

Now that sounds very reasonable to me !!!

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 05-22-2007, 04:55 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by davis419b
B-Juice: Reher-Morrison has those 565 HR engines setting on the shelf thats why you pay when you pick it up. When rebuilding an engine you will pay money up front.
i can understand for paying for a $3000 dollar freshsen up job up front..
that may be the way rear/morrison works their freshen ups but the engine builders i deal with is parts paid up front and the REST when done..
now i am speaking of 10k-12k-15k 565 ci motors etc...i am not speaking of any 10.5..PRO-MOD,PRO-STOCK STUFF...which i am very sure the parts alone for these sets ups are well up into the thousands...
ALSO its like Ed said you got to know who's doing your work..i would not hesitate in Paying R/M,Fulton, Par up front for some work...but this is only a handful......

IF I WERE A FULL TIME ENGINE BUILDER that did this for a living..I would have NO PROBLEM having a person pay for all their parts up front and the final labor bill at the finish.....i think any engine builder would come out to the good if the customer never came back and they have 10-12k worth of parts in a motor laying there....My GOODNESS the engine builder could turn around and have a firesale on the motor and sale it for $6500 at the drop of a hat and make MORE money than if he got paid for his labor by the customer.

Now the chassis situation is a different animal cause the parts VS labor is so lop sided...

But i think what RACEFAB57 said about SUNCOAST and what they charge is A FAIR deal to both sides...My vette by the way is a SUNCOAST CHASSIS. and Hairy Glass body.....I LOVE IT !!!!!

I understand what Ed is saying about getting the 50k down...thats a almost sure fire way to tie the customer into the job...but people has to understand that there are customers out here that are honest to and do not need to be charged a crazy amount of money up front because some LAME A$$ came up short on paying their Bill....SO ITS A 2 SIDED COIN HERE...

By the way Ed "MCRACECARS" ..FROM WHAT I CAN TELL IS A PREMIERE CHASSIS BUILDER..I HAVE REVIEWED HIS WORK ON HIS WEB-SITE AND WOULD NOT HESITATE IN HIM BUILDING ME A CAR OR HAVING UPGRADES...MY ONLY PROBLEM WITH ED IS THAT I DO NOT LIVE CLOSER TO HIM..... 8) 8) 8)

Brian

Old 05-22-2007, 06:03 AM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

Brian,
MY ONLY PROBLEM WITH ED IS THAT I DO NOT LIVE CLOSER TO HIM.....
get me a green card and I will move and set up shop down there.... :lol:
Believe me when I say it, America is were the business is and Americans dont seem to mind spending the money on these cars :shock: Canadians with money on the other hand, will buy cars from out of the states. The rest, well most anyway what you to work for nothing, whine about the cost of the parts, even when you sell cheaper than local speed shops, and whine again when you charge them the tax on the parts.... :shock:

I tell you guys, I really enjoy building these things, it has been a passion of mine for 30 odd years, they tell me Im good at it, one of the best in the area, even the chassis inspector was impressed with the last vega that went out of here, (not trying to toot my own horn here), but I really get tired of the guys that want everything for nothing, and think you can build a complete car in 3 weeks... (not all my customers are like this)
Many times I get to the point of just going out and getting a real job and go back to doing this as a hobby.... :roll:
Old 05-22-2007, 06:28 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Trust me Ed...we got that down here also...thats the reason i got out of the Fuel business after just one year in it...everyone wanted it for nothing and even though i sold it $1.00 even $2.00 a gallon cheaper than the track on the exotic fuels it never was enough...

I do see your side as a business owner and how you could get taken on a job if not played properly...

Someone told me a long time ago that when your trying to make a LIVING OFF SOMEONE ELSE HOBBY you run into problems....thats when i turned in my fuel license..

Brian

Old 05-22-2007, 08:32 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

ED---YOU CAN'T BE TOO BAD OF A BUILDER IF YOUR STILL IN BUSINESS[ALOT AREN'T]---HERE IN THE STATES WE HAVE REALLY STRANGE PEOPLE AT TIMES[LOOK AT THE GUYS ON THIS FORUM] BUT WE ALL APPRECIATTE WHAT YOU TELL US AND RESPECT YOUR OPINIONS---KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND I WILL SEE ABOUT THE GREEN CARD[DO YOU SPEAK SPANISH????] :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-29-2007, 04:16 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Hey, ED,

(get me a green card and I will move and set up shop down there.... :lol: )

if we get you a green card does that mean we have to adopt you or just get you across the border :wink:

I personally think you could do very well in the US, with your chassis building.
Here in Louisanna there's only one and he's not that reliable. i had to go 600 miles away just to get a plain rec. tube chassis for my Anglia. There are 3 empty building that i know of within 10 miles of me that could serve as a chassis shop.
I know of (3) S10 conversions going on right now, they all ordered rear sub-frame kits and have had them a couple months and not one has even cut the old chaasis off the trucks yet., afraid to get started because of like of knowledge.

Zip.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:07 PM
tmw963
SHOW GUEST

They built Thomas Pattersons 1941 Willys Pro Mod as well as a few other pro mod cars. Jim Geece(I think that is right) the pro stock racer owns VP Race Cars. Very well built cars.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:30 PM
dragracer7182
SHOW GUEST

Default VANISHING POINT RACE CARS

tHEY BUILT ME THE CHASIS FOR MY aLTERED fIAT TOPOLINO...DID A GREAT JOB FOR A FAIR PRICE. tHAT WAS ALMOST 10 YEARS AGO.
mORE RECENTLY, A FRIEND HAD A pRO mOD BUILT BY THEM, jOHN dIEMER, JD RACING OUT OF cAPE cOD. pICS ARE ON THEIR WEB SITE. a FANTASTIC CAR, ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES, AND THEY EVEN WENT TO THE TRACK WITH HIM (MAPLE GROVE) TO HELP DIAL IT IN. jIM (OWNER) IS A STAND-UP GUY AND A PLEASURE TO DEAL WITH. THE SHOP IS FIRST CLASS AND THE WORK IS OUTSTANDING. i HOPE THIS PUTS YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION

dRAGRACER 7182
Old 11-05-2007, 06:34 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by bjuice
Originally Posted by mcracecars
also another note...most reputable LEGIT builders will not ask you to pay for Building the car up front...if they need your money up front to make payroll and supply parts their business is hurting anI WOULD RUN AWAY FAST.........
With all respect Brian, I have yet to find a professionally run chassis or engine shop that will finance a engine or car for anyone.
All the big ones require about 5,000 down to hold your spot on the waiting list to build you a car. When it is time to build they need about 50% (includes the original 5,000), another 25% at about the half way point and the balance when complete and ready to be delivered or picked up.
Extras and additions need to be paid up front.
This assures that the customer is serious and has the money for the project.
I for one will not start a big project without 50% down to start. I have seen other chassis shops over the years, before I started, take on a project, get a few bucks down , then the customer has no money to finish and the car sits in the guys shop for 3 years... not good at all.
Building these cars is expensive, 60,000 to over 100,000 is not uncommon, and it is kind of like building a house, the builder is not going to start unless he is sure you have the money. And draws are taken at certain points in the construction. This assures that the customer is going to do his part.
I am not going to finance 30,000 in parts and 6 months labor to have the cusomer change his mind in the end.
Now grant it, smaller projects like say, ladderbar/coilover installations, 6 point bars, 10 point cage, small repairs or updates do not need deposits, but them big ones, well the builders got to protect his butt...
I agree it is a shame what happened to some of these guys on here that pay a wack of money to some of these chassis shops, or engine shops and not get anything in return, but that is were research and customer referals come in. But some of these guys will go for the cheaper price and this is what happens. Maybe some of these guys are really crooks, or maybe just bad business men and are not making enough to pay the rent, I dont know.

Ed- your my BUD but i am going to have to save a little face and disagree with you here at least on the motor part of this...they are 3 major motor builders here in the south PAR,FULTON,ClEMENTS that will build you a motor with the cost of the parts of front...
I would like to know for the heck of it if Wes Woods pre-paid for his motor from the well known shop out west..rear/morrison i beleieve it was...
would just like to know ?? :roll: :roll:

now keep in mind every one of these guys i mentioned in my home town are parts dealers and carry a majority of this stuff on the floor such as blocks etc....i am also sure they are collecting the juice on these parts also...i know that Scotty Cannon caught one of this motor builders doing this to him back in his PRO-MOD ON-SAT days and dropped the builder like a hot potatoe and went to EAGLE...that i know for a fact...LOL...

i also PM you with some of my personal thoughts on the chassis side of this..which addresses the $30,000 in parts :?: ..i just wanted to share this with you in private cause i got respect for your profession and you and do not want anything taken out of context by anyone...

you will freak when you here about the 'NATIONALLY " KNOWN chassis builder taking 40k from some PRO-MOD boys from ALABAMA and a year and 1/2 later no car and no parts....ohhhh yeahhhh this gets real good..
and we ain't talking about no 'Tooties'; race cars neither..this is BIG NAME !!!!!

see the pm i sent.

Brian
Well I will have to put this one down as better late then never. But as for my RMRE that I had custom built I did have to put down half the money down at the start of the build and the rest at the finish. I have to say I think that is fair to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -