front end shimmy

Old 08-01-2017, 07:34 PM
mikeshemi
APPRENTICE

Default front end shimmy

I have a 98 camaro with a big block chevy engine. wilwood brakes all around. Stock front struts. Problem is after running 1/8 mile even if i just touch the brakes the steering wheel shimmys. The harder i push the harder the wheel shimmys. while coasting after run the car is fine. But touch brakes and woww look out. I've taken off rotors and put them on a brake lathe. perfectly straight. Put tires on a balancer and no problem. Realigned front end. nothing. cleaned rotors with 100 grit air sander. Bought new pads. Oh i have 10 runs on this setup. Shimmied 9 times. New bushings new tie rod ends, stock rack. I''m at wits end.,.could front end toe in be wrong for the big block chevy at 122 in 1/8. Stock factory setting on front end specs for alignment. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I'm sure this isn't something only i'm stuck with.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:37 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Turn the rotors with an on car brake lathe. There is probably some run out on the face of the hub causing the issue. Turning on the car eliminates that problem and cuts them straight on the car.

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 08-02-2017, 05:48 AM
mikeshemi
APPRENTICE

I put the stock brakes back on the car. I'm going out sat and i will get back to you with the results. Thanks for the reply
Old 01-15-2023, 07:09 AM
murrayjest
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by mikeshemi View Post
I have a 98 camaro with a big block chevy engine. wilwood brakes all around. Stock front struts. Problem is after running 1/8 mile even if i just touch the brakes the steering wheel shimmys. The harder i push the harder the wheel shimmys. while coasting after run the car is fine. But touch brakes and woww look out. I've taken off rotors and put them on a brake lathe. perfectly straight. Put tires on a balancer and no problem. Realigned front end. nothing. cleaned rotors with 100 grit air sander. Bought new pads. Oh i have 10 runs on this setup. Shimmied 9 times. New bushings new tie rod ends, stock rack. I''m at wits end.,.could front end toe in be wrong for the big block chevy at 122 in 1/8. Stock factory setting on front end specs for alignment. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I'm sure this isn't something only i'm stuck with.
There is probably some run out on the face of the hub causing the issue. Turning on the car eliminates that problem and cuts them straight on the car.

Last edited by murrayjest; 01-15-2023 at 07:57 AM.