differential noise

Old 12-11-2008, 02:29 PM
nemesisracing
JUNIOR BUILDER

Nick,
I found out that I was indeed looking at the coast side of the gear. The pattern looked great on that side, however on the drive side the pattern looked good at the edge then tapered to a sharp point and stopped at about the center of the tooth.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:12 PM
nemesisracing
JUNIOR BUILDER

Well guys,
I took the differential apart today and installed a thinner pinion shim. I accidentally damaged the bearing so I installed a new one along with a new crush collar and of course a new seal.
I put the driveshaft flange on and started tightening the pinion nut with a ratchet. All at once, I noticed that all of the play was starting to tighten up.
Now keep in mind that I only tightened this with a ratchet and there is now no play at all.
I didn't think that this could be right so I took it all back apart and the crush collar has not been crushed.
Would it be ok to leave it like this, or does the crush collar absolutely have to be crushed??? I noticed that when I tightened the pinion nut a little more that it increased the drag on the flange.
I am totally confused at this point!
Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Mike
Old 12-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

Tighten it up will eliminate all the play and after that it will start to put a preload on the bearings,tighten it til you get the preload your looking for, I tighten up a little then check it with an inch pound torque wrench,tighten some more, then spin it over a couple of times then just fiddle with it ,check it with torq. wrench for your specs. Golden rule : If you get the pinion preload right and the backlash right and side bearing preload right its GOT to have the correct pattern on the gears!!! NEVER FAILS !!!! DR. Ive done a lot of rears over the yrs!
Old 12-19-2008, 01:37 PM
nemesisracing
JUNIOR BUILDER

Well guys and gals-
I finally found out what the problem was with the differential in my Mustang. I took the shims off of the 4.10 pinion gear and used my ORIGINAL shim that was on the 3.55 gears that the car came with. I put it all back together, set the backlash, and it had an absolutely perfect wear pattern on both sides of the ring gear teeth.
I drove it down my street, and there are no abnormal noises, vibrations, etc!!!
I just wanted to say thanks for everyone that responded and I certainly hope that my experience will benefit someone out there that may be trying this for the first time. Good luck and Merry Christmas to all!
Mike
Old 01-18-2009, 10:20 AM
nemesisracing
JUNIOR BUILDER

Hey guys!
Just thought that I would check in again and to thank all of you once more for all of your tips/advice while I was doing this ring and pinion swap.
The car is still running good with no noises or vibrations at all. Even though I did this around 6 weeks ago, I must say that it is STILL such a good feeling when I drive the car down the road and know that I was the one that changed these gears out myself!!!! It reminds me so much of when I was a teenager and my dad and I rebuilt the engine in my first car. I can remember asking my father if he really thought that the engine would ever run again because it seemed like there were millions of parts laying there once we got it all torn down. He seemed quite confident and explained to me that "if it's getting fuel and firing at the right time then its got to run"!!!
Well, thank you all again for everything! I just love being able to spin the tires through 2nd gear and still good a good bark in 3rd now!!!
I haven't tried 4th but my father seems to think that a little chirp is not out of the question! :shock: OOOOH YEAAAAAAH!!! 8)
Old 01-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

N-

Glad you gotter dunn! I know what you mean, it is a good feeling when you do it yourself. I have to teardown a Dana60 soon myself & do a R&P... I have never done it. Anyways, thnaks for the insiration. Rigsby
Old 01-20-2009, 04:52 AM
nemesisracing
JUNIOR BUILDER

Rigsby-
Good luck with your Dana 60! Once you remove all of the parts and get an idea of how it all goes back together, it really isn't all that difficult to do. Just take your time with it and make sure that wear pattern looks good before you button it back up!!!!!!
Mike