Which way is cheaper and/or better

Old 07-30-2011, 05:13 PM
laxking012
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Which way is cheaper and/or better

So I'm looking to finally get a drag car, and was wondering, is it better to build a car or get one that's already been done. I don't really have much money and I found a 94 camaro for $600, but needs a new engine or may just rebuilt, I don't know what's wrong with this one yet. I was thinking I could start with this, just get it running, and start with that. Then build it up as I go and get some money. Or am I better off to dish out the money now and start with something that's already built?
Old 07-31-2011, 09:22 AM
EXPERT BUILDER

Not trying to be a smart azz, but if you can buy that car for 600 it will be one of the cheapest items you will buy in drag racing :shock:

To answer your question, it is most always cheaper to buy a car already built than to build one.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:43 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Just realize that in ANY kind of motorsports racing, you are gonna BREAK stuff;
- Engine $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
- Trans $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
- Axles/U joints/CV joints $$$$

If ya think $600 is a LOT of money, do not, I repeat DO NOT get into racing until you can budget $10,000 for a BASIC STOCK bracket car and a season of expensive expenses.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:11 PM
laxking012
JUNIOR BUILDER

I never said $600 was a lot.. I was thinking that it seems like a good deal. I know how much racing takes financially, I go to the track every weekend and help a few people in the pits, I see how much goes into their cars. That's why I've waited a year longer to actually look for getting a car.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:37 PM
EXPERT BUILDER

Well, what did the guys you help have to say about your question ?

No disrespect but,You said you don't really have much money, that's why we were saying it's going to be fairly expensive for you to get a Drag Car and get it on the track
Old 07-31-2011, 04:49 PM
laxking012
JUNIOR BUILDER

Well relative to the like 20 grand or so that most people have invested, i don't have much. I'm looking at about $5000 at the end of August. Also i'm not looking for anything real fast or anything, I just want something that's gonna run somewhere in the 12s maybe, just to get started with.. I'm open to any help and opinions, do you think I'm jumping into this too soon maybe? should I wait a little longer?
Old 07-31-2011, 05:44 PM
EXPERT BUILDER

Sorry, not trying to discourage you!
There are cars on the tracks that cost less than 5 grand that's for sure.

No one can tell you if you are jumping in too soon but YOU !
If you feel good about the car, go for it.
Like you said, start with that and do as you can when you can 8)

Just have fun doing it !
Old 07-31-2011, 06:06 PM
Incognegro
DYNO TECH

You can get a decent 12 second car for $5000 just know what your looking for. Consider full frame cars that are fairly common.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:31 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Julianthe3rd
You can get a decent 12 second car for $5000 just know what your looking for. Consider full frame cars that are fairly common.
x2......gm g- body cars are relatively cheap & make great drag cars
Old 07-31-2011, 06:49 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Which way

I second the G body GM idea. The Malibu is most popular and resale value is higher.

You could save a little longer and get a back half Malibu set up for a BBC for less than $10K. I did. It should have everything already on it you will need except an engine and trans. This way you can start out with a sbc engine if limited on budget and move to a BBC later if wanted without having to get a better car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -