Column shift to floor shifter

Old 12-26-2008, 05:05 AM
jbranontn
SHOW GUEST

Default Column shift to floor shifter

I'm thinking of putting a B&M floor shifter in my 66 Tempest...The car has a TH-350 trans in it with the stock column shift. What all is involved in this change....How much would it effect value of car....Is this something I should consider doing or not?....The car has the stock 50/50 split front seat.....Anyone have any advice or experience in this mod? Cool
Old 12-26-2008, 05:31 AM
fishmanjoe
JUNIOR BUILDER

Alot has to do with not worrying if you wanted to keep the car as a restored original.I do not need to tell you that once you start cutting,you have changed the classification of your car.The job itself,is depending on if you want to change the steering coloum,so you are without the look of having a shifter there at one time.Cutting the hole is the most work involved and then mounting your shifter.Not knowing your level of experience is,I would get a buddy to work with you and the web site chevelles.com club site has a tech section where they did a shifter changeover.I hope I helped you.About 40 years ago,they were the kind of projects I started doing.FISHMANJOE
Old 12-27-2008, 04:18 AM
nemesisracing
JUNIOR BUILDER

If you buy the shifter brand new from Summit Racing, Jegs, etc then it will come with a detailed instruction booklet. The instructions are very easy to follow and it will also show pictures of what bracket (supplied with the kit) that you will need to use for the transmission cable.
I have installed several B&M and Hurst shifters in the past. The job itself is not all that difficult. You will have to rewire your reverse lights and neutral safety switch. Again, the kit will include the switches that mount on the new shifter.
Due to the fact that your car is a column shift, you will need to change the steering column to one that does not have the shifter mounted on it or it will look very awkward having 2 seperate shifters!!!
If your car is all original, then you may want to reconsider doing this. As FISHMANJOE stated you will have to drill holes in your floor, you will have to cut the original factory wiring and splice in new wires for the backup lights/nuetral safety switch, and you will have to change the steering column.
If it is not all original and some modifications have already been made, then this would be a real good looking addition to your car. It really all boils down to you and your own personal likes/dislikes.
I hope this helps and if you decide to install a custom shifter, it is not that difficult to do. Just read the instructions carefully and take your time during the installation.
Mike