What would you do?

Old 04-15-2020, 12:55 PM
michupp
SHOW GUEST

Default What would you do?

Sold my car 3 hours after it listed. Guy sent me a cashiers check which was good and cleared. Now when he is supposed to arrange a pick up, he claims his daughter was in a serious car accident and wants his money back. I turned down 5 other buyers to sell to this guy because he contacted me first. What should I do?
Old 04-16-2020, 04:07 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

How long has it been since the cashiers check cleared?

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 04-16-2020, 07:46 AM
BigBlockMark
MASTER BUILDER

Scam. Sent check without coming to look at the car in person? Check will be returned bad within 3 weeks. If you send him your money, you will be scammed. Wait and see. Even if it is not a scam, it is not your problem.Keep your car and relist it. The others that were interested will still be if they are not scammers too. Don't deal with anyone that does not call you after first contact, offers to buy without coming to you, has special circumstances, does not give you a deposit in cash, wants to send extra $$ to you for shipping, will have a shipper to pick up.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:29 PM
michupp
SHOW GUEST

Thanks for the info. It was a counterfeit cashiers check and he scammed us for a few thousand. Should I take cash only? Any way to determine counterfeit cash? What is the best way to do this transaction? I have never sold anything online.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:30 PM
michupp
SHOW GUEST

Apparently, not long enough.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:51 AM
BigBlockMark
MASTER BUILDER

I only take cash in person.I have the marking pen that can detect counterfeit bills. If it is a deal where I am sending the item thru UPS, I have the buyer send United States Postal Money Order(s). (The kind you can only get at your post office.) I take the money order to the Post Office and they can determine if it is good. Very few of those money orders have been counterfeited, I am told.

Could you explain in detail how he scammed you of a few thousand if you still have your car? Did you send him money back?